Friday, April 18, 2008

Is Chaos Actually My Destiny?

It's quiet in my house. Usually I have to write among chaos but right now my husband and boys are outside doing some lawn work. I often talk about the need for serenity and peace and muse over how great it'll be when I have solid spans of time to just work instead of my yo-yo writing career where I yo back and forth between writing and caring for my family and my slightly neglected house.

I thought it'd be ideal to get really productive this aft while I have some peace so I can take tonight off. We're off to a family gathering tomorrow so productivity today will be vital because on Sunday I have about 50 articles coming in to be edited and prepped for client delivery plus a whack of invoicing and paperwork to do. The quiet in the house is strangely eerie though and I find myself surfing and playing instead of working and here I sit having no desire to work. Why is that? Normally I talk about craving peace instead of working in the madness that is a house full of noisy and messy boys.

Sometimes I think I get my best work done under pressure and with loads of noise. Lately I seem to be most productive when the house is humming. My favourite days back in the corporate world include racing the clock and multitasking so maybe being a multitasking WAHM really is perfect for me because I seem to thrive under pressure.

In September I'll have 2 full days one week and three full days alternating weeks from 8-4 with no children at home so I've been dreaming of the freedom and looking forward to having more valuable family time at night and on weekends because I'll have so much productivity during the day.

But just now I had the terrifying thought that maybe I DO need mayhem in order to be most creative. Maybe I'll have to bring my laptop to the kindergarten class my son will be in and sit in the middle of the craziness and write in order to produce my best work..Yikes!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yikes is right! Enjoy the quiet play time.